I've pushed some updates to Advanced Weather and the cloud shader of
Atmospheric Light Scattering.

Clouds now fade to transparent at distances between the visibility and 3 times
the visibility. This gives a much better impression when in heavy groud fog
(CAT I to CAT III) and shouldn't be a problem above the cloud layer for
semi-realistic visibilities (if you have 20 km, you get clouds drawn out to 60
km or so). CAT IIIb using Atmospheric Light Scattering and Advanced Weather
should now give better results (I won't start thinking how to support Basic
Weather properly before this actually works) - although it takes a while for
the system to ramp down the visibility to very low values (the interpolation
routine has a time delay) - you may have to wait for 20 seconds till the
visibility is actually all the way down.

However, the change does mean that if you leave the visibility at cruise
altitudes of airliners at 10 km, you will not get to see many clouds regardless
of how the cloud visibility range is set (because they now respect the real
visibility setting in addition), so this is potentially an issue for  Basic
Weather users. If this is a show-stopper, then we may need to undo the changes,
but fading to alpha is by far the fastest way to deal with heavily fogged
clouds.

Please test and give feedback!

Runway lighting and the sun are still not okay and seen through fog - any
pointers as to where to modify the lights are highly appreciated.

I've also tinkered a bit with the thunderstorm scenario and reduced the density
of clouds surrounding the Cb towers as well as the number of sprites being used
- I now get quite acceptable framerates of ~20-30 fps in the scenario - maybe
it also helps for others.

One problemhere  is that rain textures are still orphaned (i.e. don't move in
the wind with the clouds) - I'm running out of ideas here - my Nasal moving
code creates frame spacing issues, Vivian's C++ moving code patch wasn't
accepted, so I'd appreciate a helping hand from C++ coders before the next
release.

* Thorsten