Just my 2 cents here.

The primary reason I use the FoV/x binding is to see, read, and be able
to use everything (or as much as I can) in my cockpit. Personally, I
would rather scroll up/down, but that seems to have limits, as I can't
zoom in as far as I want to by scrolling, but can using the key
binding. There's also a limit for zooming out. Reaching the limit
causes the FoV to be set back to the default. If the limit was removed,
then I personally wouldn't mind having the key binding removed as well.

Saikrishna Arcot