On Tue, Mar 5, 2013 at 11:10 AM, James Turner wrote:
> Can anyone tell me a problem, with forcing startup location to 'not a runway'
> *when MP is enabled* ?
>
> I'd pick an available parking at semi-random, if the airport has parking
> locations. Another option, if the airport has a ground-network, would be to
> try to guess a hold-short location for the runway, but that rapidly becomes
> tricky with parallel runways, different aircraft radii, and so on. Parking
> locations seem safer, but people will have to taxi in MP mode. I'm sure the
> ATCs would prefer than anyway.
>
> This *could* disregard the --runway option, but then we're actively
> over-riding the user's wishes, rather than just avoiding a default behaviour
> which is bad with MP on. In the GUI (airport selector dialog ) we could
> disable the 'best runway' option, or even the runway selector combo entirely,
> if we wished to be strict about it. ('this feature is disabled in multiplayer
> mode' prompt text, of course)
>
> Comments?

I think this is a fine idea.  At present working out the available
parking positions for and airport from outside the sim is a bit of a
pain.  (In fact I usually start with MP off, then use the Select
Airport dialog to position at a parking position, and then turn MP on)

I assume by "semi-random" you mean to choose parking positions fairly
close to the approach end of the active runway?

Making a similar change to the airport selector would be a good idea
as well, though obviously we'd only disable the option if parking
positions exist for the airport.

On a related note, I've been wondering whether we should start the sim
with the engines running when starting from a runway.  Being on the
runway with the engine off isn't particularly realistic.  If we were
feeling particularly keen also having the altimeter set and the radios
tuned to the tower frequency might be nice.

-Stuart