Heiko

> Sent: 30 April 2013 18:46
> To: FlightGear developers discussions
> Subject: Re: [Flightgear-devel] Atmospheric Light Scattering
>
> > Now, sorry, FG snapshots With ALS and Without Rembrandt
> > https://sites.google.com/site/grtuxhangarctd/other-download/
> > P-38_demo1.png
>

> > Who said we don't need  a specific version when using ALS ?
>
> I have to wonder- because you don't need a specific version for ALS!
>
> Use the shader as it is in current FGData and it will work in ALS,
Default-
> renderer and Rembrandt.
>
> The only thing is, that lightmaps, as possible in ALS and Default
Renderer,
> doesn't look all to good in Rembrandt in combination (!) with light
volumes.

> But this can be solved.
>
> One model, one version- three renderer. FlightGear!

That's not quite right: you should be able to use one _effect_ across all
rendering schemes, but under the hood different flavours of shaders do the
work. Depending on a number of factors - weather mode selected/light
implementation, the outcome on the model can look quite different.  I would
guess that is what we are seeing on the P38 examples shown (and that's quite
some model - wow!).

We have recently broken that principle with the grain effect - it only works
in ALS.

But you are quite right to say that we don't need special models for
ALS/Default/Rembrandt rendering schemes. You might choose to implement
features in Rembrandt, and then you might want to add different features so
that those features would still work in the default and ALS schemes, but you
don't have to. A good example of that might be landing lights that are
implemented on a particular model under Rembrandt, but are simply absent in
other schemes.

Apart from making sure that transparencies work in Rembrandt, a modeller
doesn't have to anything at all to the effects to make them work right
across the board.

Vivian