On Thu, 9 May 2013 14:57:21 +0000 (UTC), castle...@comcast.net wrote in
message
<142462582.1782424.1368111441180.javamail.r...@sz0139a.emeryville.ca.mail.comcast.net>:

> Hi,
>
> Thanks to Jan Comans I've been able to sync the 3D clouds across
> three instances of fgfs running on a multi-core machine.  This, in
> turn, provides for some very respectable frame rates of 40 to 50 fps
> per core with a three projector system with older generation Nvidia
> boards ( GT430 and GT440 ) on a 64bit I5 machine.  The visuals will
> be just awesome once the collimated display is completed later this
> year.
>
> However, all is not perfect in simworld.  Since each CPU starts and
> runs independently there is a skew in sim time for each core and AI
> trsffic is just not usable with models "disappearing" into the screen
> edge and then showing up at the adjacent screen boundary a few
> seconds later.
>
> One possible solution is to start with the sim clock "frozen" and
> once all instances have booted and initialized send out a control
> packet via the native-ctrls protocols and unfreeze the clocks. A
> better solution would be to use the fdm packets to start the clocks
> since that protocol is already being used to sync the fdm slaves to
> the master.  This network method will still have a bit of latency;
> probably the best solution is to have a freeze flag in a portion of
> shared memory accessed by all cores and then clear the freeze state
> once you are ready to run.  This has an additional advantage of be
> able to stop and start all instances with microsecond accuracy.
>
> Just wondering if anyone has messed in this area and has some
> info/data on such things as to how much latency is tolerable before
> the AI models start "breaking up" across screen boundaries?  Is there
> clock drift due to variations in delta t's for each CPU/GPU set based
> on rendering times for each screen?  Any need to send out a local sim
> time standard to adjust for any drift and keep things in sync?
>
> Any thoughts, comments, suggestions would be appreciated and will
> earn credits for sim time if you happen to be passing through the
> Colorado Springs area. ;-)
>
> Cheers
> Jack

..the ntp time server gives you too much skewed time?
On a lan, you should have your box clocks within milliseconds
from each other. Details in: http://www.ntp.org/ and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_Time_Protocol

..install a ntp server on your master machine and ntp clients
on your other machines.  Or, set up a ntp server hardware box
and run ntp clients on all your FG boxes, to bring them closer.
You want the same time error on all your ntp clients.

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: