"Anyway, for now the fix is just to go back to the old situation, where we
assume the user wants the GPS to |drive the AP all the time"

If you refer to your last fix (yesterday) , it is not sufficient,
 since like said the /autopilot/settings/gps-driving-true-heading property
is not set to true.

Thank

Ahmad