On 20 Jul 2013, at 15:06, Pat <pat.callah...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Eventually I'd like to have a maintainable version on each branch.
>
> What we have in fgmeta master and fgmeta 2.10.0 is script version 1.9.4
> The one on 2.8.0 is even older, 1.31.  None of these work, mostly
> because of the osg svn url change and maybe other things.  Someone
> would have to test to find out.
>
> Script version 1.9.10 which is currently on next does work as is for
> next and 2.8.0.  You could merge that version back to master and the
> download_and_compile.sh instructions on the wiki will work again.
>
> I can backport the -B and -V options from the new script to a 1.9.11
> based on 2.10.0. This minor change would mean the existing script could
> support next/master, 2.12.0, 2.10.0, 2.8.0 and maybe even 2.6.0.
>
> Let me know if you want me to do that.

To be honest I'm not sure.

In general, we don't touch the branches for prior releases (although of course
we could). Of course the versions on master and next need to be kept
up-to-date. Personally I don't see any value in encouraging people to run older
versions of the sim; if people experience problems with newer versions, I'd far
rather they reported that than kept using 2.6 or 2.8. There may be valid
reasons to stick with a particular version for a dedicated project or similar,
but for the kind of users download-and-compile is aimed at, supporting the
current and previous stable releases seems sufficient to me.

(Possibly as a Mac user my opinion on this is a little distorted!)

However, download_and_compile is a little special, in that it supports multiple
versions in a single file, so if you can create a compatible version with some
small tweaks, then go for it, I guess. I would expect, ideally, that the
version on master would build the current official release by default, and the
versions on release/2.12.0 and next would build that explicit release, and
next, by default respectively. Hopefully this is a one line change in the
script when branching fgmeta?

James