According to my memory and getstart.pdf (Section 3.5.15):
"Example: --prop:/engines/engine[0]/running=true starts the
simulator with running engines."

This no longer is true, either for release 2.4 or current git.
I am interested in this because I want to practice STAR approaches,
placing my aircraft all trimmed and beautiful at the correct
start location.

When and why did this feature die, anyone know?

Kind regards,
Alasdair