________________________________
From: Arnt Karlsen <a...@c2i.net>
To: flightgear-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Sent: Wednesday, October 12, 2011 6:08 PM
Subject: Re: [Flightgear-users] Car racing pedals in flight gear

On Fri, 7 Oct 2011 21:17:35 +0200, Viktor wrote in message
<canx-tgipxfroddpu+hk5amh_r2+jcjtr64qcpmow6smuvi-...@mail.gmail.com>:
> > On Oct 7, 2011 8:56 PM, "Rafael Anschau" <rafael.ansc...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > Hi, I noticed flight pedals are not very cheap, but there are much
> > cheaper pedals that come with a driver wheel control(for car racing
> > games). Can those pedals be used in flight gear to simulate the
> > rudder ?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Rafael
>
> Hi,
>
> Sadly, no. Flight pedals are not independent like the accelerator and
> brake on a car.

..er, in some (rare?) cases they are, e.g. some canard aircraft use one
sided wing tip "brake flaps" "as rudders", "stomp one pedal to yaw that
way, stomp both to slow down."

> They pivot in the  middle. When you push one in, the
> other comes out. They also have toe brakes which let you steer by
> braking the left and right main wheel independently. Maybe you could
> simulate just the toe brakes though.
>
> But I defnitely recommend getting proper pedals - twisting the
> joystick will never give you the  same control or feel.
>
> Cheers,
> Vik

  Scenarios always come in sets of three:

Hi all,

Very true, "new" PC flight pedals are not cheap.

Depending on the car racing pedals the answer is maybe.  You would have to
modify your joystick file or create a new joystick file to use the car
pedals. One shortcoming is the car pedals are not push/pull like real rudder
pedals. Both pedals can be pressed at the same time.  You have to train
yourself to only depress one pedal at a time. Also there are no toe brakes. But
still, something is better than nothing.

Another way to reduce cost is DIY.

Here is one example.  "The Five Minute Yoke."
http://www.flightgear.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1956
Perhaps the "5 minute yoke" could be build as "5 minute pedals?"
I think there was a video of this.  But I can't find it at the moment.

Sometime ago I purchased V3 InterAct pedals at a thrift store for $1.99 and a
used USB joy stick for another $1.99. I found a diagram of the USB chip in the
joy stick on the internet. Using the diagram I rewired the InterAct peddles to
use the USB chip.

For under $5.00 I had a working set of USB rudder pedals.

I also had to edit my joystick file to use the InterAct peddles for rudder
input.

They have the same shortcomings as other car pedals.  They worked just fine
till I got something better.

A picture of V3 InterAct pedals from the internet.
http://s3.amazonaws.com/kpsurplus_images/28bcec0ed4cdb9d26bdac5ee6deb1381558886c6.JPG

Another way is to scrounge a used set of pedals. A broken used set is even
cheaper.

I found a broken set of ProPedals and repaired them. A likely problem with
broken ProPedals is an internal broken wire.  The wires are very small and flex
every time the pedals are moved. The repair cost is a trip the scrap wire box.

Now I have a nice set of ProPedals for not much money.

Good luck,

Paul B
coulee...@yahoo.com