I've had similar experiences.... I have a nice Intel Atom box that I can't
really do anything with as it's too underpowered.

However... Technology moves on.  I found this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856107076

which should work if the graphics are good enough.  I'm not sure if the
2nd gen Ion will work with Flightgear. I have not been able to find
minimum hardware requirements for fg.

Anyone running fg with Ion graphics?