On 27.06.2008, at 07:40, Michael Sweet wrote:

> I understand all of this, but my real point is: what does this
> actually buy us?  To be honest, I have 0 interest in compatibility
> with the current FLTK 2 API, and re-creating the/a FLTK 2 API with
> FLTK 1 wrapper headers seems like a poor reason to re-transition to
> the fltk namespace.

1: the advantage of using name spaces apart from naming conflicts can
be less typing. For example:

   Fl_Box *b = new Fl_Box(1, 1, 10, 10, "Hallo");
   b->align(FL_ALIGN_LEFT|FL_ALIGN_INSIDE|FL_ALIGN_WRAP);

would be:

   using fltk;

   Box *b = new Box(1, 1, 10, 10, "Hallo");
   b->align(ALIGN_LEFT|ALIGN_INSIDE|ALIGN_WRAP);

Sure, it may also become more confusing, but that all is a matter of
taste, coding sttye, and possibly coding discipline.

2: there is much more to the new API than the new namespace. Widgets
are named much more consistently (Fl_Tabs became TabGroup, Fl_Pack
became PackGroup to indicate that they are groups, etc. etc.). FLTK2
sticks with one single naming scheme (almost) all the way through to
keep the interface easy to understand.

3: there are are few logical changes modifying inheritance. Fl_Image,
Dymbols (you know, the @circle stuff), and boxtypes are now derived
from the same base class, so where ever you can use a box in FLTK1 ow,
you can just as well use a collection of images, and wherever you
insert symbols into a label, you can now insert an image as well. That
is really neat for prepending a little icon in front of a Browser entry.

Is that enough of a big deal to make it worth an API change for FLTK1?
I don't know if it is worth it for the old crew, but it sure makes the
API look more modern and cleaned up for new users.

Matthias

----
http://robowerk.com/