matthiasm wrote:
> 1: go strictly with our patch, remove duplicates, and clean up our API
> 2: use the already clean GLib API and hook that up with the guts from
> the patch
> 3: extract the unicode from GLib and replace code from the patch (but
> GLib is LGPL, FLTK is modified LGPL, so I am unsure if that is OK)
> 4: require GLib and link against it (my least favourite solution)

OK, so I have no problem with using glib with Pango and X11/Cairo,
however glib isn't fast or light or standard outside Linux/Solaris,
so I wouldn't want to make it a dependency on other platforms.  In
particular, glib on Windows still has a lot of issues...

FWIW, iconv is the usual API on Linux/UNIX systems to do character
set conversions, and Windows has its own multibyte functions - I'd
rather use those than glib, if we are going to pull in another
library...