On 10.09.2008, at 09:45, MacArthur, Ian (SELEX GALILEO, UK) wrote:
>> FWIW, iconv is the usual API on Linux/UNIX systems to do character
>> set conversions, and Windows has its own multibyte functions - I'd
>> rather use those than glib, if we are going to pull in another
>> library...
>
> If I understand Matthias' concern correctly (and as ever I'm likely
> wrong...) it's not so much the character set conversion that's at
> issue,
> as the "string manipulation" routines for handling "characters" in the
> utf-8 strings.
> I think we *have* the functions we need for this - both OksiD and (I
> assume) Bill have written these functions for fltk-1.1.6 and fltk-2
> respectively, with somewhat differing API's. I then tried to put the
> fltk-2 functions into the 1.1.8 codebase.
> So, anyway, I think what Matthias is suggesting is that we rework
> those
> existing functions to present an API similar to the equivalent
> functions
> from Glib, on the basis that their API looks better...

Yes, right.

I will create the remaining IDE support files and then phase out and
restructure/refactor what we have. I will do the refactoring in the
main trunk again, so that Doxygen commentary can start.

Understanding more and more about languages, script, glyphs, fonts,
and layouts, I realize that we can never produce a perfect UTF8
support. So let's keep it fast and light and allow rendering of all
fonts and simple text input. The existing code base is just fine for
that.

Matthias

----
http://robowerk.com/