On 11 Sep 2008, at 19:20, Greg Ercolano wrote:

>> On 10.5, it compiles and links fine. Did you update to the latest
>> svn?

FWIW, it builds OK on this 10.4.11 mac...

>       I compiled my japanese text program against it, and there was one
>       small problem.. sorry I'm only writing about the aberrations ;)
>       the text was unscaled and mirrored (upside down, but correct left-
> to-right).

Hmmm, I just tried it here, and it works "out of the box" with the
Japanese test prog.

>       Here's a pic showing the upside down text in the GUI, and the correct
>       orientation of the japanese text in the terminal window:
>       http://seriss.com/people/erco/fltk/tmp/japanese-mac-test.jpg
>
>       The upside down thing sounds like a rendering problem (+y vs -y),
>       not sure about the font scaling though.. might be a limitation of
>       the default mac font, not sure. I'll try different set_font()
> settings
>       to see if I can fix that.

One thing I would say is that the "small upside down text" thing is
something I've seen OSX do before, when it can't find the font it
wants... I got a fair bit of that making my utf-8 patch, and also
when I was writing a music editor (musical note fonts are a ****
mess...) I think it falls back to some odd bitmap font or something
and fails to scale it... That's just a guess though.

In my old version of the patch, I'd tried to enable the ATSUI "auto
substitution" mechanism. I don't know if Matthias left that enabled
or not - it resolves a lot of font issues but can be *really slow*...
I guess it must be enabled, because it seems to be working for me...

--
Ian