On 18.09.2008, at 17:01, Roman Kantor wrote:

> OK, the other possibility would be that the negative size values would
> indicate a position within some size table. But this would be ugly too
> so I will drop the idea.

Nagtive values are perfectly legal on any machine. Even if there is
less that 4GB of RAM, the MMU may still position the physical RAM
anywhere in the address space, including 0x80000000 and above (which
would be "negative").

A possible hack would be masking out the lowest bit, because
structures and classes are word or longword aligned on pretty much
every CPU. But it is still a dirty hack which may fail one day for
some obscure reason.

My favourite OS, MS Windows in most (all?) of its iterations actually
uses your originally proposed hack for HANDLE! Quite a pitfall if the
implementation is hidden and a programmer expects a pointer, but gets
an index, or vice versa.

Or in short:

-1

----