> > Oh, which reminds me, did I mention libunicode which solves
> > basically all of this?
> > http://cvs.gnome.org/lxr/source/libunicode/ by Tom Tromey
>
> Markus Kuhn's paper http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/unicode.html
> mentions various libraries that do some/all of what we want,
> but if we pull in ICU or pango can we still be fast and light?

Indeed. It's a worry.
Way back when I did the 1.1.8-utf8 stuff, I did actually embark on
getting pango integrated. But I very quickly lost heart... It's not
going to be trivial.
Since then I looked at ICU, and in some ways that might suit us better
(and might even be better known, in that it forms the basis for a lot of
Unicode handling in java for example.) Again, I failed to produce
anything of any use.
And neither is "light"...

Libunicode I was aware of, but have not looked at in any detail. I'll
maybe try and have a look.

How do we feel about these libs as dependencies? Do we handle this any
differently than we handle the image libs?

--
Ian

SELEX Sensors and Airborne Systems Limited
Registered Office: Sigma House, Christopher Martin Road, Basildon, Essex SS14
3EL
A company registered in England & Wales.  Company no. 02426132