matthiasm wrote:
> Nonono, there are a bunch of libunicode around. The Tom Tromey one is
> discussed here:
>
> http://mail.nl.linux.org/linux-utf8/2002-06/msg00023.html
>
> and according to this merged into glib, which may be the one we should
> look at?!

        Hmm, by my read it sounds like it was a dead project by 2002,
        some code was pulled into Glib, and then later removed (?)
        because it ends up saying they "stopped using it for Glib"
        in the last sentence.

        BTW, I don't suppose strcoll() would solve string comparison
        issues?

        Seems like strcoll() is supposed to handle encoding as well
        as language specifics. Windows has it too. It's mentioned
        in the POSIX 1 book, which says it's not in the POSIX standard,
        but it is in the C standard (man pages say C89, C99)

        Too bad it doesn't seem to have an option for case sensitivity.
        Also, docs aren't clear if utf8 handling is implied. But on the
        web there seemed to be several threads on utf8 sorting withs strcoll
        which seemed to indicate it does handle utf8, as well as handling
        language specific sorting intricacies. Would feel better if
        the manpage mentioned this, but it doesn't.

        I suppose if comes down to 'not enough time' for 1.3.0, maybe
        the quick solution is include warnings in FLTK sort related
        docs about limitations of string sorting in utf8 contexts,
        and mention "\todo utf8 sort capability".

        For instance Fl_Browser_ recently has sorting, and should probably
        mention the utf8 implications, as it currently it uses strcmp()
        (not utf8 aware), and not strcoll() or fl_utf_str*cmp()
        which it maybe should use instead.