This is to cast my vote on this RFC.

Yes, functions Fl_Widget::is_group() and is_window() would be extremely
useful, for instance they're badly needed for the proposed Fl_Printer
class.
I favor Fl_Group *Fl_Widget::is_group(), and similarly for Fl_Window,
as return type because the widget in question will in most cases
have to be cast to Fl_Group.

For FLTK-1.3-cocoa, I had to makedo with the absence of what could be an
is_glwindow() function. So I would suggest to add this one as well.

More generally, could there be an Fl_Widget::is_Fl_<i>type</i>() function
fo each FLTK widget type ? They should account for inheritances
with is_group() true for an Fl_Window* and an Fl_Gl_Window*.