Albrecht Schlosser wrote:
> Question: should there also be a rule to cut trailing spaces before
> each commit?

        This sounds dubious, and I'm trying to think where that might
        be a problem, but I /think/ I've encountered situations where
        trailing spaces might actually be relevant, such as an escaped tab
        or escaped space.

        I think I encountered this once in an ascii art diagram, and also
        in a commented-out code example, where the trailing white was to
        to avoid errors about trailing backslashes being interpreted an
        an escaped crlf which the compiler/script interpreter didn't like.

        I think there are cases where the compiler and/or shell interpreters
        can complain about a trailing backslash in a comment, e.g. something
        like:

#ifdef 0
A MULTI-LINE COMMENT
              _______________
             /               \       <--
            / Some ascii art  \      <--
            \     diagram     /
             \_______________/
#endif

        I can't honestly remember if it was this exact context, ie. an #ifdef
        or maybe a /* .. */ comment, but I recall some platform's pedantic
        compiler or interpreter bitching about a trailing backslash in a case
        where it really shouldn't have mattered.

        Instead of stripping trailing white, it might be good to track down the
cause
        of the white space modifications in that edit to see what the culprit
might be,
        and if it can be disabled. Then maybe add a section to the FLTK coding
standards
        citing editor-specific recommendations of settings to avoid.