On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 02:40:21AM +0400, Nikita Egorov wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 1:41 AM, Kurt Van Dijck <kurt.van.di...@eia.be> wrote:
> > On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 12:30:34AM +0400, Nikita Egorov wrote:

[...]
> > It's not my intention to start discussing TinyX vs. dfb, I'm just
> > interested and know not that much of dfb.
> > * Does dfb make use of hardware acceleration in userspace, or kernel
> > framebuffer drivers?
>
> DirectFB doesn't use the acceleration possibilities of fbdev. It use
> its own gfx driver which is one of dynamic modules of the library. Any
> user can create his own graphics driver to accelerate standard
> operations. Of course, if he have enough information about the
> particular hardware.
> If dfb doesn't have proper gfx driver it will draw through embedded
> software fallbacks. The fallbacks can use 35 different formats of
> pixels and work not slower than any other library.
> But DirectFB has only basic functions - lines, triangles, rectangles
> and blitting. In my port I had to implement all the rest necessary
> operations.
Interesting.
Am I right that if one was able to create a dfb graphics driver, he/she
should be able to create an X11 driver too? It looks to me both do
similar things (although I've never written either of them).
Maybe one may be easier than the other, but you'd need the exact same
hardware datasheets?

> > * is 'OpenGL ES' some kind of third party software in your system?
>
> OpenGL ES is a subset of OpenGL. OpenGL ES is used on many embedded
> platforms. Such as Freescale mpc5121, TI OMAP3530, and so on.
> I have used OpenGL ES interface to accelerate gfx functions of DirectFB.
Is the OpenGL ES interface (I suspect it in userspace then) embedded in
DirectFB, or does _an_ application just make use of both OpenGL & DFB?

FYI, We're running an i.MX31, with TinyX & fltk. Just looking around to
enable the hardware OpenGL acceleration.