> Interesting.
> Am I right that if one was able to create a dfb graphics driver, he/she
> should be able to create an X11 driver too? It looks to me both do
> similar things (although I've never written either of them).

No, you may have no fb driver at all if the frame buffer is not
necessary for acceleration. Only software implementation of dfb needs
framebuffer.
DirectFB's driver supports all graphics acceleration of the library.

> Maybe one may be easier than the other,

I suppose this driver is easier thing than kernel driver.

> but you'd need the exact same
> hardware datasheets?

of course

> Is the OpenGL ES interface (I suspect it in userspace then) embedded in
> DirectFB, or does _an_ application just make use of both OpenGL & DFB?

The OpenGL ES is provided by third part. In many cases it is only
interface to hardware acceleration.
DirectFB has an interface to use OpenGL functions on dfb's surfaces.
But I didn't use this feature yet.

http://directfb.org/docs/DirectFB_Reference_1_4/IDirectFBGL.html

> FYI, We're running an i.MX31, with TinyX & fltk. Just looking around to
> enable the hardware OpenGL acceleration.

As far as I know, your chip has a realization of  OpenGL ES.
http://www.khronos.org/developers/resources/opengles/

--
Nikita Egorov