On 02.06.2010, at 13:04, MacArthur, Ian (SELEX GALILEO, UK) wrote:

[ talking about the overlay demo not drawing the overlay correctly ]

>>> I'm pretty sure (but did not test) that 1.1.10 was OK, so this also
>>> looks like a 1.3 regression...
>>
>> No, not a regression. Unfortunately this is old behavior and the same
>> in FLTK 1.1. AFACT (as far as I could test ;-) ), this only depends on
>> presence of XDBE (maybe there were different defaults in 1.1). I just
>> tested (again) with FLTK 1.1 on Ubuntu (9.04, with current updates).
>
> Hmm, that's odd.
>
> I don't have time to dig into this, but...
>
> On my 8.04 box, the overlay demo seems to work.
>
> On the new 10.04 box, it fails. The h/w config is very similar, so
> presumably not a graphics h/w issue. (Though there will be driver
> differences - in particular the stock ATI driver in 10.04 is the
> opensource one, not the ATI binary driver...)

If/when you can find the time, please check the configure options
and/or do tests with both XDBE enabled and disabled. In my tests
I got different results with exactly the same Ubuntu setup (with
gnome) running in a Windows virtualbox VM --- on two different
Windows boxes (one with XP, one with Windows 7).

> But; The 8.04 box is using XFCE for it's desktop, the 10.04 box is Gnome
> with the stock ubuntu settings... I wonder if the difference is manifest
> due to some compiz behaviour or something?

Yes, I guess that the WM could make a difference, and I know at least
one STR where the WM obviously does:

http://www.fltk.org/str.php?L2039

[but that's OT here].

It would be really good if you could rule out (or confirm) the WM's
influence in this case by testing with and w/o XDBE (--enable-xdbe).
Note that the FLTK 1.1 default is --disable-xdbe, whereas FLTK 1.3
is --enable-xdbe.

> I know we have been "disadvantaged" in the past by the things that
> compiz does on the display...

Well, this is (was) due to some new behavior (new features) of the WM
that FLTK didn't know about (setting X attributes to distinguish
different types of windows). Thus I'd say that this is another class
of change in the WM.

Albrecht