greg:
>       Yes, I've had good luck with that. I've found I can use
>       'FORCE' in place of .PHONY and it works just as well, eg:
>
> foo: FORCE
>       stuff
>
> FORCE:
>
>       ..and I include an extra blank line after the FORCE:
>       because I think old make's would complain.

hence the reason why my example had:

  noSuchFile:
      : dummy command on unix

I have also used the variation of setting a dummy shell variable:

  noSuchFile:
      comment="dummy command to force build"

If you are worried that someone will create a file called "FORCE"
or ".PHONY" or whatever, simply use a more complicated name. I use
noSuchFile, but you could have thisFileMustNotExist or some other
name that you are never likely to create accidentally. Anyone who
then creates that file manually is a complete wazzock...

D.