Ian:
> I think it's like we are talking about a door; you would say;
> "The door is open", but "The door is opened" would be OK too.
>
> You would not say "The door is close", you'd want to say "the door is closed".

        Right, I think that's the right way to think about it.

        This is basically a status check, which means it's
        similar to a status light on a cockpit annunciator panel:

                CARGO DOOR: OPEN / CLOSED

        ..which really makes it clear to me. Then you just stick 'is'
        in front of that to "check" it's status; "is_open", "is_closed"

Ben:
> I don't know about others, but I've always preferred past tense -
> is_opened(), etc....

        I think that's right too, but since both 'open' and 'opened'
        can be past tense ("is it open" / "has it been open"
        vs. "is it opened", "has it been opened"), I usually go
        with the shorter word.

        However with 'close' (is it closed, has it been closed), there
        really is no choice; 'closed' is the only one that's right.

        Also, the cargo lights example above seems to clarify:

                CARGO DOOR: OPENED / CLOSED

        ..seems odd for a status indication; "OPEN" kinda seems like
        the thing one would more likely see.