> Ben:
> > I don't know about others, but I've always preferred past tense -
> > is_opened(), etc....
>
>       I think that's right too, but since both 'open' and 'opened'
>       can be past tense ("is it open" / "has it been open"
>       vs. "is it opened", "has it been opened"), I usually go
>       with the shorter word.
>       However with 'close' (is it closed, has it been closed), there
>       really is no choice; 'closed' is the only one that's right.

Usually I'll aim for the solution that's most generic - in this case, the 'ed'
prefix can be applied to every one of your functions (and makes sense in the
context of every one of them), so it's the one I would always go with, as it
keeps API consistency. But then again, maybe that's just me and my memory
laziness kicking in!

Regards,
Ben