[STR New]

Link: http://www.fltk.org/str.php?L2721
Version: 1.3-feature

> I have not plans to be developer of FLTK, but if I will doing somewhat >
patch - I will send it to developers of FLTK.

Please do. I love patches. You will see that I have problems accepting
very large patches, because I verify them line by line. Smal patches are
always very welcome.

> FLTK? It has very horrible widgets!

Well, FLTK is quite old and the default looks of FLTK 1 surely are
outdated. FLTK 2 is better, and FLTK 3 already looks a lot better than all
the others. I will put further work into this.

There is a better choice of widgets now, too. As soon as FLTK 3 is stable,
we will be adding more stuff.

> And will be heavily to sell the apps with not standart
> looks of control elements (like QT/Win32 apps)

This is no longer true IMHO. People are very used now to web interfaces
that do not resemble any of the standard toolkits. Developers are behind
the curve here. Users are much more interested in a good and logical UI.
The mostly do not care at all about the GUI toolkit that was used.

> I think are if FLTK would has the button "Donate" - then
> it would give to developers of FLTK the stimulus for to
> improve the project...

We did have a 400 Euro (IIRC) donation in March '08 that we split amongst
the developers who fixed the lat ten bugs to get 1.0.8 out. It was a great
success and basically one single person fixed all the bugs within a week.

The downside was (if I remember right - someone correct me if I am wrong),
that none of the money went to any of the core developers. The person
caching in never committed anything again afterwards. So, yes, we released
FLTK faster, but it stimulated only externals.

As for embedded devices support: FLTK is used on many embedded devices. It
works great with Microwindows and other minimal X11 servers that are common
there. It's just that we do not support every possible embedded device
here. There are smile too many setups for cross compilation, etc. . But we
try to help as much as we can if someone tries to set this up,

Please let us know what else we can do to make FLTK more attractive.

 - Matthias