On 1 May 2012, at 20:38, David Currie wrote:

>> On 04/27/12 15:55, David Currie wrote:
>>> what is a diff? is it the output from diff original new?
>>
>>      A 'diff' is the output of diff(1) comparing the old and new file, eg:
>>
>>              diff -u foo.old foo.new
>>
>>      The nice thing about a "universal diff" is it can be
>>      applied to existing code with patch(1).
>>
>>      See 'man diff 1' and 'man patch 1', or
>>      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diff
>>
>>> Having seen it I would guess NOT. What is ABI?
>>
>>      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Application_binary_interface
>>
>>> Please explain STR and diff and confirm task.
>>
>>      STR is a Software Trouble Report.
>>      It's FLTK speak for 'File a bug report', eg:
>>      http://fltk.org/str.php
>>

> Running the program example at
> http://seriss.com/people/erco/fltk/tmp/browser-ansi-test.cxx
> (linked) against fltk-1.3.x-r9359 (libraries) produced NO colour.
>
> I tried to patch the file at
> http://seriss.com/people/erco/fltk/tmp/ansi-patch-03-09-2008.txt
>
> to fltk-1.3.x-r9359/src/Fl_Browser.cxx and it gave several errors.
> I assume version mismatch. It appeared to be patching 1.1.x not 1.3.x ??

Yes, the patch is pretty old (March 2008 I guess) and was meant for fltk-1.1.
But was not merged into the main source due to it being an ABI breaker, I'd
guess.

So, it will not apply cleanly to current, though my experience is that a little
time spent squinting at the code, and at the patch, will allow you to see where
the mismatches are and fix 'em up by hand - though that can be a tricky process!

> I would like to look at the the ansi test (Fl_Browser.cxx) so it will help me
> see how
> the underscore capability is done so that it can be embedded into
> Fl_Text_Display.
>
> I cant really continue without this info as a patchfile alone is insufficient.
>
> Please can someone advise how to proceed ?

The best (for certain limited values of "best" anyway) approach is probably to
pull an old version of fltk-1.1. of suitable age from the repo and apply the
patch to that - where I assume the patch would apply cleanly, then play with
that to get a feel for the capabilities the patch brings.

If that looks suitable, then the next thing is to fire up Meld / Beyond-compare
/ whatever and compare the patched files with the unpatched fltk-1.1 to get a
feel for what the patch does, and then compare that against 1.3 to see where
the equivalent places to patch would be now (much of fltk-1.3 reads straight
across form 1.1, so making the mapping may be easier than it sounds...
possibly...)