On 05/26/12 15:14, Ian MacArthur wrote:
> On 26 May 2012, at 22:44, Greg Ercolano wrote:
>> Just a reminder:
>>
>>      '//' isn't a valid comment delimiter in "C" files, i.e .c/.h.
>>      The native C compiler on platforms we support (IRIX) fail to build.
>
> Though (as ever) that depends heavily on the dialect of C that your
> compiler speaks...

        Yep! And the one IRIX speaks doesn't support C99 extensions (//)
        so r9549 was required to get 1.3.x to build on irix.

        IRIX is a dead product, so I'm stuck with whatever compiler
        they had back in 2004 before SGI went under. Looks like even
        in 2004 the C compiler was still circa 1998 (according to the
        man page), and therefore predates C99 by a year.

        However, there is a -Xcpluscomm flag, which supposedly enables
        C++ comments in C code as a language extension.

        So I suppose if we were to sneak that flag into the cc command
        on irix, then the //'s wouldn't be an issue there.

        However, not sure about other platforms we support, so perhaps
        it's safer to stick to the original C spec for comments in C files.

> I guess the IRIX toolchain may be even more "conservative" than
> the embedded toolchains I generally work with!

        Perhaps more "old" than "conservative", but yes. ;)