On 27 May 2012, at 03:55, Greg Ercolano wrote:

>       However, there is a -Xcpluscomm flag, which supposedly enables
>       C++ comments in C code as a language extension.
>
>       So I suppose if we were to sneak that flag into the cc command
>       on irix, then the //'s wouldn't be an issue there.
>
>       However, not sure about other platforms we support, so perhaps
>       it's safer to stick to the original C spec for comments in C files.

That maybe a valid option; though, for sentimental reasons, if for no other, I
still favour "traditional /*  */ comments in C.

And often in C++ too sometimes , since they don't break if you email your code
and the mailer wraps...

I guess, with modern syntax-aware editors, the chance of someone forgetting to
close a C-style comment must be greatly diminished these days anyway!