> Question:
>      I want to verify that '@' symbols in labels (eg. "@->") are only
>      allowed at either *the very beginning* or *very end* of a string,
>      or at both ends, and nothing else (ie. not in the middle of a
>      string, or mixed into multiple lines).

   Another interesting thing about symbols I didn't know about
   @ symbols in labels, and I don't think is documented:

       The more lines in the string, the larger the symbol will be;
       the symbol is scaled to the size of all lines, and centered.

   Here comes some examples that use ascii art (view in a
   fixed width font!)

   If the label string is:

       "@< Aaa\nBbb @>"

   You'll get:

       /| Aaa |\
       \| Bbb |/

   ..and if the string has more lines, e.g.

       "@< Aaa\nBbb\nCcc\nDdd @>"

   ..then you'll get larger arrow symbols matching the height of all
   the lines:

        /|   Aaa   |\
       / |   Bbb   | \
       \ |   Ccc   | /
        \|   Ddd   |/

   ..instead of what I was *expecting*, which would have been:

          <| Aaa
             Bbb
             Ccc
             Ddd |>

   This behavior of symbols automatically centering + scaling
   should really be documented too.

   I had no idea symbols worked this way until I looked closely
   at the side effects of fl_measure's code.