In article
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
 "MacArthur, Ian (SELEX GALILEO, UK)"
 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Yuri said:
>
> > The are more than one reason to avoid bundling a package with
> > more than
> > a reasonable default and a _simple_ api:
>

> > With dynamic loading, we could be done with a very simple api, a base
> > theme (say gtk+ alike) and forget about it.
>
> Are we talking about some sort of dlopen-a-like system, maybe even with
> a C-callable API? (So as to dodge the c++ name-mangling issues across
> compilers.)

Yes, I was thinking of something C-based (much like current callbacks).

> I get around that by allowing some C++ API, but that only works because
> I build everything with the same compiler. For random plugins built with
> different tools (particularly on win32 where there are more compiler
> choices...) things get tricky.
> I'm sure someone knows better than I do about this, however, so I'm
> happy to be enlightened!

Yes, cross-compiler support of C++ objects is a mayor issue, and I don't
think there's a solution. I mean, nothing has really changed much since
10 years, and I still need to use Comeau to get external templace
processing. The only thing that changed was a sightly more consistent
template and namespace support.

It also gets worse with dynamic loading. I really don't want a CORBA
brokerer in fltk.

Currently, the c-based callback mechanism, in its simplicity, has worked
quite well. It allows for extensions to be integrated easily, much more
than a template-based system could have. It's a mayor success to have
several extensions available online, IMHO.