> Most of the 2.0 stuff is utf-8 aware (with the major
> exception of that
> damn TextEditor), under what looks like both XFT and Xlib. I can't
> remember which I've tested, but in my debugging adventures I've
> definitely come across either of XFT or Xlib working as it
> should with
> utf8 characters. There are probably some differences between the 2.0
> utf8 and the 1.3 utf8 though, which might still come into play.

Indeed, and there's the crunch right there:

In fltk-1.1 and in fltk-2, under Xlib, the text rendering uses
XDrawString(), and fltk-2 also uses XDrawString16() in some cases to get
at the extra glyphs for UTF8 support.
Fltk-1.3 instead uses the more "modern" XUtf8DrawString() method, since
that saves us from having to convert the UTF8 text into the native
codepage, and may (conceivably) do a better job of composing the string.

So, I'm guessing that's the key difference - the OP's Xserver knows how
to do XDrawString() so fltk-1.1 and fltk-2 work, but does not know how
to do XUtf8DrawString() so fltk-1.3 does not work.

I guess the jury is still out on whether XDrawString16() would work in
fltk-2, as I assume the OP never tested with any glyphs outside of the
basic range?

(NOTE: I'm also assuming that the nanoX used by the OP does not seem to
support XFT either... That might become an issue if they need
anti-aliased text. If their display is small, that probably will not
matter. Though that said, both iOS and Android anti-alias text AFAIK, so
they may suffer by comparison, depending on what their end-users have
come to expect!)

SELEX Galileo Ltd
Registered Office: Sigma House, Christopher Martin Road, Basildon, Essex SS14
3EL
A company registered in England & Wales.  Company no. 02426132