actually I ended up separating Stop() so it just stops and called before window
closes and does one Fl::check() to catch pending output, then a separate Wait()
function that has a min/max wait value that would be called after the window is
closed.  It's still not perfect, but with the min/max values it works most of
the time even though it's not going to be even needed in most cases because
after the long operation and the splash window is closed the main fltk message
loop starts again.  If anyone is interested, I can post the final version.