On 9 Jun 2012, at 20:01, Matthias Melcher wrote:

> On 08.06.2012, at 12:24, Greg Ercolano wrote:
>
>> Anyone had success compiling fltk with cairo on OSX?
>>
>> I did a mac ports install of cairo (which installs itself
>> into the /opt hierarchy, from what I can tell), and have an svn
>> copy of fltk in /usr/local/src.
>
> I think that none of the Cairo stuff has been touched in quite a while. Also,
> I believe that most of what Cairo offers is also part of Quartz. The
> antialiased font and lines are enabled in FLTK 1.3.

I've never used the fltk "cairo built-in" stuff for anything serious, but I do
have a body of code that uses fltk+Cairo by other means (somewhat pre-dating
the inclusion of Fl_Cairo in the 1.x series.)

So, anyway, that code still builds fine on OSX, and AFAIK the fltk built-in
works too, but it has been some months since I explicitly tested that - though
note that I tend to install Cairo from source, rather than via macports or fink
or etc. (It builds pretty much out of the box on OSX, much easier than on win32
for example, so that's the path of least resistance..)

It may be that having it in the "standard" places makes it work easier with
fltk? Who knows.

However; I'd strongly echo what Matt said - on OSX it may not be all that
useful. My own code that uses cairo only uses it for general rendering on Linux
and WinXX, on OSX it is unnecessary since the rendered Quartz stuff is
anti-aliased anyway and looks pretty much the same as the cairo stuff, only and
order of magnitude faster...

I still have the cairo render path in the OSX code though, since we use it to
provide a PDF output backend (and yes, there are other ways to get PDF output
on OSX, but this way means we are consistent across platforms...)