> The "show" cost varies a bit, maybe as low as 30ms or as high
> as 40ms, but never so long as 200ms...
>
> The monitor refresh is 60Hz, so that possibly sets a lower bound
> of about 17ms for the screen to show anyway.
>
> Note that I'm running this in a X server on a WinXP machine,
> the actual Linux box I test on is about half a kilometre away...
> I'd assume running it locally on the machine would be even faster.

One my side, using your sample, and the same binary compile on a RedHat 4

I am using two differents RedHat (Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES release 4 (Nahant
Update 5) and  Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5.5 (Tikanga))

The first one is slow at 200ms, but the second one got 20ms (ten times
faster)