One possible thing to consider.  Many of our NH and FNH mappings hit tables
that are backing a vendor's application.  Those tables are HUGE, complex,
and follow probably every antipattern possible. For example (we're a K-12
education institution), to lookup a "student" requires hitting about 17
tables, all with different key names, data types, etc. It's a nightmare.  On
top of that, it's mixed Oracle 9 and 10g, which adds a layer of joy

To get around that, we have either created views/materialized views that
better match the domain model (and handle the extremely complex joins at the
database level).  With those, we can read in our data.  To push the data
back down, we use functions (called by NH/FNH) rather than writing back down
directly to the table.

It's not the best situation and doesn't allow us to leverage the "create
your objects, compile, and update your RDBMS", but it beats the heck out of
having plSQL scattered throughout our applications--especially when the
vendor changes a table without telling anyone. ;)

For books, NHibernate in Action is good, but won't dive into FNH.  It did
help me when I first started with NH to figure out which mapping fit which
situation.  http://www.manning.com/kuate/

Also, @ayende's NHibernate Profiler is a dream come true for both using
NH/FNH and LEARNING.  Create a mapping, run your test, and see the SQL it
generates.  http://nhprof.com/

Finally, the new wikis are pretty nice--lots of coverage regarding mapping,
automapping, etc.

-dl

---
David R. Longnecker