> On Roland midi pianos they simulate the effect when the sustain pedal is
> down of the other undamped piano strings resonating in sympathy when a piano
> hammer strikes a single note?

I suppose it could be that. For me it works on non-piano instruments too. I
have a Yamaha PSR-550.

Well, this Creative Labs page suggests that that feature isn't in the
SoundFont spec:
http://www.creative.com/soundblaster/soundfont/tutorials/welcome.asp?articleid=54142&page=7

There is an envelope parameter called "Sustain" but it refers to the volume
at which the note decays to after a while of holding the key. There doesn't
appear to be anything in the envelope parameters to behave differently due
to the sustain pedal. That's a pity.

Thanks for your help.

Matt