Hi Everyone,

I would like to get community feedback on Infusion no longer supporting IE 11.
The discussion kicked up again after work on FLUID-6488
<https://issues.fluidproject.org/browse/FLUID-6488>; see discussion in
comments. Initially we planned to move off of supporting IE 11 after the
Infusion 3.0 release. We had hoped to have that out in early 2020. However, due
to a variety of factors, including the current pandemic, our work on Infusion
has slowed and the actual 3.0 release date isn’t clear.

What we’d like to propose now is to immediately stop officially supporting IE
11. That doesn’t mean we’ll be going through and removing IE 11 specific code
from Infusion right away; although that may happen over time. It does mean that
we’ll no longer test in IE 11 and will no longer guarantee that Infusion works
in IE 11.

In the immediate case this will reduce maintenance and development burdens. In
the long run, and why we always needed to eventually drop support, is that IE
11 support is preventing us from using more modern JS and CSS techniques, APIs,
and etc. Already we don’t support Text-to-Speech in IE 11 and Proxy
<https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/JavaScript/Reference/Global_Objects/Proxy>
 is another features we’d like to use in the framework. (See: FLUID-6372
<https://issues.fluidproject.org/browse/FLUID-6372>).

Depending on the benchmark you look at, IE 11 usage sits around 2-4% (see:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_web_browsers
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_web_browsers>). As the linked
article mentions the accuracy of these metrics are susceptible to over and
under estimations from a technical perspective. Additionally we know that there
are a variety of other reasons why numbers may not tell the whole story. With
that in mind, I want to also check with those in the community that use
Infusion and get an understanding of your requirements and thoughts on this in
general.

Thanks
Justin