Heiko wrote:

>And if you
are interested in a "sampler", get "midi2cs" etc. Its much better than
just converting with "general midi" sounds into wav (and mp3). I did this
conversion with a 486 dx 33, which was slow. A pentium is faster. Shure<

I've never used midi2cs how does its rendering of  midi to wave files
compare with Audio Compositor (this is the renderer I use, and find to be
excellent since it supports soundfonts). Of course midi2cs sounds great
since it's free.

I shall have to have a think about what free tools are available to produce
midi files so that no-one will have to spend money to take part in this. Of
course some of you may already have the necessary tools.

Heiko, on the whole I think CSound related work may be too difficult for
beginners. I don't know what you think. I first used CSound about 5 years
ago and it took me a long time to get decent results with it, maybe there're
better editors for it now. When I used it you wrote the orchestra and score
files in a text editor and compiled them to wav output from a dos command
line. I think a sequencer with a nice friendly GUI is best to start.

Nick wrote:

>I would definitely like to take part in something like this, if it ends
up taking place. I'm pretty sure my keyboard has midi capabilities,
i may need to buy a cable or something, but basically "i'm in". I
could also help make CDs and distribute it to local independant
record stores.<

Great, welcome aboard. I think it could work quite well. You can achieve
some very good results with simple things in midi. As for using your
keyboard there is a cable that goes from midi out on the keyboard to the
joystick port of your soundcard, then you'll be able to use the keyboard in
any sequencer.

Okay, well it looks like people find this idea interesting. I think it could
be a lot of fun and the musical results would be very interesting, firstly
because of the compositional method and secondly because this list contains
people with very eclectic musical tastes.

I'll try and find a suitable freeware/shareware sequencer in the next couple
of days. If Heiko or anyone else knows of anymore public domain music
software please let us all know.

cheers,

Sol.