Hi Pete,
Actually the book that has been referred to is (according to the issue I have):
JOHN CAGE, An Anthology, Edited by Richard Kostelanetz
(Published by Da Capo Press)

According to Al Hansen "...the class became a little version of Black Mountain
College (It is on the basis of that season, with both Dick Higgins and myself in
full glory, that Cage is said to have vowed that he would never again accept
students whose last name began with an "H.")"

Cage's first connection with the New School for Social Research was in the early
1930s, when he came to California to study with Henry Cowell.  In the 1940s he
taught privately or substituted for Henry Cowell.  In the 50s he began the classes
in "Composition of Experimental Music," generally 3-12 students.  Students were:

Toshi Ichiyanagi
Jackson Mac Low
Richard Higgins
Al Hansen
George Brecht
Allan Kaprow
Florence Tarlow
Scott Hyde.

Seems to me one of the greatest outcomes of the classes was the consensus that
"anything goes", which of course led to the development of "happenings" and
performance art, some of the first tenets of Fluxus.

Best,
PK