Hi all,

for non-programmers:

writing text adventures (z-standard) you can use inform
http://www.inform-fiction.org/

writing your own doom etc. try dark basic
http://darkbasic.thegamecreators.com/

or the 3D gamemaker, this comes with precreated elements you just bang them
together, however
you can edit many of the image maps etc. to create very bizarre effects,
this is the easiest game creation tool I've ever seen, kind of a level
editor really....it's by the same people who do dark basic
http://t3dgm.thegamecreators.com/

for all: game creation resources
http://www.ambrosine.com/resource.html

In all honesty you need to spend a lot of time on game development to get
anywhere. Only the 3D gamemaker is really fast and that's because you are
only really changing the graphics on a standard 3D game. The most game
development fun I ever had was programming stuff for Gameboy(in C using
GBDK) but it took many evenings and all I ever wrote were a few sprite demos
and a little synthesizer (this took about 3 weeks working on it every
evening and at the time I had already been working as a programmer for some
time).

I think a Fluxlist game would be a good idea but it's a really big project.
You could organise it via the Wiki and adopt a development model that allows
each person to do a small part of the game. A text adventure could work
quite well, also it would be cross-platform if it followed the z-machine
standard which would be excellent.

Alan wrote:
>why don't we get our reisdent boffin in the case of a fluxlist game?
sol?  (and don't give me any of that "erm i'm really rather busy"
mullarkey!<

I suppose I might be willing to be involved but since I've still not
finished the cookbook I'm not really a great example when it comes to
realising projects. I also seem to have gotten very slow at replying to
e-mail!

cheers,

Sol.