CERVENÁ BARVA PRESS NEWSLETTER
Gloria Mindock, Editor   Issue No. 1   July, 2005
ÈERVENÁ BARVA PRESS WEBSITE
EDITORIAL
Welcome to the second newsletter of the press. The purpose of this newsletter is to share events, readings, interviews, books of interests, theatre productions, and whatever else is going on of interest. It is completely open for anyone to submit to.
Postcard Series: One update
Due to the high cost of printing, the price of the postcards has changed, please check the website. The postcards will be available in mid-August.
RANTS AND RAVES

Raves for Nave Gallery in Somerville, MA. Their Sound Vision/ Vision Sound 111 International Exhibition and Festival of Verbo -Visual Artwork and Performances were wonderful. I attended the performance on July 15th and was struck by the artwork, the intimate space, and the cozy atmosphere of the gallery. I went to see John M. Bennett and Be Blank Consort perform. I also wanted to meet John because for years I've been reading his work which I love. Be Blank Consort performed many pieces which took on language in a new way. Many of the poems were spoken simultaneously with performers speaking different text. It gave a chorus effect. I found myself listening to some text but then my attention would go to another person and what they were saying. The rhythm and structure of the text allowed the listener to make their own meaning at times. The pieces that really stood out for me were Lungs, P piece, and a brilliant performance and delivery of The Peel Peeled. This last piece was ! performed in three different languages at the same time. The timing and delivery of all the work was well crafted. Be Blank Consort knew exactly what they were doing. Other members of the group that performed were K.S.Ernst, Scott Helmes and Michael Basinski. All of the performers were wonderful. I just loved it! I wondered if they put any of their pieces together like John Cage used to do. That is throwing up notes in the air and putting them together in random order. Years ago, I saw a special on PBS on John Cage. Richard Kostelanetz, a language poet, spoke about him on this special. I considered everyone that night performing to be language poets. The text was not only important on the delivery but also how it looked on the page. I cannot rave enough about this group.

BuffFluxus was the next to perform, the performance group was established in 1956 when they first performed on the Ed Sullivan show. They were great. They also experimented with language, text, and delivery. They consisted of members Michael Basinski, Doug Manson, Matt Chambers and Karen Yocobucci. They did a Poem Improvise, in which a box of pants/shorts were emptied out onto the floor. They called them John M. Bennett's pants. They put them on and audience members could do the same if they wanted to. Another piece they did I'll call Oh Shit. In this, they said the phrase in as many different ways that one possibly could. It was hysterical. I laughed quite a bit over this one. I am not sure if that was the actual name so forgive if it's wrong. Also the audience took part in the beginning of one piece where they were asked questions. These performers were just wonderful. Their delivery and pieces performed added another layer of text performance art into the night.

The last group consisted of three performers, Chris Fritton, William R. Howe and Lisa Phillips. It started with a huge blank piece of white paper on the floor. On the sides of the paper were ink pads. The performers stepped on them and walked on the paper. Different letters came out onto the paper. While doing this they made sounds. The whole experience was fascinating to watch. Visually watching printing and listening to sounds were again showing the audience members the different way text and printing can affect us. It was like watching an installation piece coming to life. Also the ink on paper came off their shoes with different texture which added depth to the piece. All this layering by all performers gives us a new insight to how important language and text is. Why not take it to new levels? Everyone here definitely did that. William R. Howe who is Curator of the gallery put together a wonderful and I do mean a wonderful exhibition and performances. It took such work on his part. What a show to put together. His Assistant Curators, Chris Fritton and Lisa Phillips are to be commended for their huge part also. It was a great night of visual, sound, text/language and performance art put together. Raves to Nico Vassilakis and the screening of his shorts. Visually beautiful to watch. He is a brilliant writer so this was really neat for me to see. The exhibition at the Nave Gallery is open until Aug. 6th. One can look forever at the exhibitions. Again, just visual stunning. Do see this if you're in the area. On a final note, everyone who I spoke to from performers to audience members, were just gems. Everyone was so nice and the performers were all genuinely interested in feedback from the show. I have Raves for them all, so Thank you.

Dr. John M. Bennett
Curator, Avant Writing Collection
Rare Books & Manuscripts Library
The Ohio State University Libraries