Hi,

during a lively discussion in some Norwegian newsgroups the issue was
raised of increasing security on a Linux server by not allowing users
to view process listings.

Suggestions like restricting access to /proc were named, but there
were few suggestions on how to properly implement this.

Personally I'm a bit sceptic towards this kind of security through
obscurity, but I am hoping some of the readers of this list might have
some input on this.

Does hiding process give a false sense of security? Is it worth the
effort? What problems can one run into by for example restricting
access to /proc? Are there better ways to hide process information
from users?

Any input is well appreciated.

regards,
Remco

--
   Remco B. Brink -- Information Systems Developer, Opera Software ASA
Personal site at http://rc6.org - PGP/GnuPG key at http://rc6.org/rbb.pgp

An honest politician is one who stays bought.