On 11 Jan 2003, Steve Wampler wrote:

> I'm trying to build a CD that has all the binaries and libraries
> needed to run chkrootkit on it (so I can be more confident that
> I'm running good binaries when checking possibly compromized
> systems...).
>
> No real problem locating all the binaries and libraries, and
> the CD I build works just fine on the (RH 8.0) system I built
> it on, but when I try it on another system (happens to be
> RH 7.3).  I get:
>
>    /bin/sh: /lib/ld-linux.so.2: version `GLIBC_PRIVATE' not found
>    (required by /mnt/cdrom/bin/Chkrootkit/lib/libc.so.6)
>
> I've gone googling for GLIBC_PRIVATE and, while a number of people
> have encountered this error in other contexts, I haven't found
> a solution.

This actually sound like you run dynamic libraries from the suspect
system. Which means the CD is useless.

ANYTHING on the CD should be able to run on it's own. So you need static
tools for just about everything or make sure dynamic loading occurs from
the CD only.

I suggest you make the CD bootable and only mount partitions from a
suspected system into this Read-Only system.

Hugo.

    [EMAIL PROTECTED]            http://hvdkooij.xs4all.nl/
            for they are subtle and quick to anger.