Leland,

I might be mistaken, but pulling random data from /dev/urandom will never
end - you've given openssl a seed of infinite length (or until you stop
the process).

If you want urandom data, pull off a chunk into a file and point to that
with -rand, and/or choose some other files that are unlikely to be
reproducable.

Best regards,

Ralph