Title: Re: [fonc] s3 slides
Folks,
        On slide #42, Gezira, Shouldn't the top line be Max and not Min?  Otherwise every edge contributes at least 1 to every pixel, no matter where it is!  Or, am I grossly misunderstanding this?

        On slide #39, Maxwell's Equations, are you aware that they can be derived from just electrostatics  (F = e1*e2/(r1-r2)^2) and the Lorentz transformation of special relativity.
        "From our present vantage point, the magnetic interaction of electric currents can be recognized as an inevitable corollary of Coulomb's law.  If the postulates of relativity are valid, if electric charge is invariant, and if Coulomb's law holds, then the effects we commonly call "magnetic" are bound to occur.  They will emerge as soon as we examine the electric interaction between a moving change and other moving charges." Electricity and Magnetism (Berkeley Physics Course - Volume 2) by Edward M. Purcell (1965) p173
        This means that magnetism with all its funny properties is simply caused by ordinary charges moving at relativistic speeds (often inside an atom).  The existence of a magnet is proof of special relativity.  It is also very cool to be able to have a counter-intuitive relativistic effect that you can hold in your hand and play with!

--Ted.

--
Ted Kaehler         http://www.squeakland.org/~ted/
(home) 3261 Montecito Drive, Las Vegas, NV 89120.  voice (702) 456-7930