On 13.06.2008, at 23:00, Dan Amelang wrote:

On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 9:27 AM, Ted Kaehler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Folks,
On slide #42, Gezira, Shouldn't the top line be Max and not Min? Otherwise every edge contributes at least 1 to every pixel, no matter where
it is!

Hi Ted,

No, "min" is correct. The intention is that every edge contributes at
most 1. Using max instead would allow a contribution to exceed one
(which would be incorrect).

Perhaps there is confusion about what the "min" function does. It
returns the minimum of the two arguments. It might erroneously be
thought of as returning "at least" the magnitude of the arguments. I'm
guessing that that stems from our use of the word minimum in the
English language, for example "At a minimum, you just do this..." for
setting a lower bound. On the contrary, the min function actually sets
an upper bound. It sets the upper bound by restricting the result to
be the minimum of the arguments, where one of the arguments usually is
an upper bound. Strange, isn't it :)

That's a very common thinko. At least I'm always confused by min(max,max(min,x)) ...

- Bert -