Reuben Thomas wrote:
On 26 February 2010 23:15, John Zabroski <johnzabro...@gmail.com> wrote:
These three physical coupling issues
(block-structured, procedural message passing; manual memory management;
manual concurrency) are things the average programmer should never have to
touch,

I don't remember seeing block struturing ever being described as one
of the "things the average programmer should never have to touch";
could you elaborate on how it's bad, please?

I agree with Reuben here. Languages that elevate block-structures to first-class status: Smalltalk and Self (and even Ruby), lead to less coupling and greater expressiveness -- they are the poor-man's lambda. Lack of such first-class constructs make languages like Java completely unpalatable, even with its anonymous classes. I hope that modern environments allow more specialization of "block-structure" semantics. What would replace blocks in Smalltalk? I would like to subclass and decompose them.

KAS