From: David Pennell <pennell.da...@gmail.com>
To: Fundamentals of New Computing <fonc@vpri.org>
Sent: Sun, June 5, 2011 7:33:40 PM
Subject: Re: Terseness, precedence, deprogramming (was Re: [fonc] languages)

HP had a version of APL in the early 80's that included "structured"
conditional
statements and where performance didn't depend on cramming your entire program
into one line of code.  Between the two, it was possible to create reasonably
readable code.  That version of APl also did some clever performance
optimizations by manipulating array descriptors instead just using brute force.

APL was the first language other than Fortran that I learned - very eye opening.

-david

Hi David