I can imagine a c2.com like wiki that is specifically focused on fundamentals of new computing, with a similar mixture of documentation and discussion.

Regards,

Erik.

On 06/15/2011 04:30 PM, Carl Gundel wrote:

Why not use a wiki to collaborate and organize thoughts and information?

-Carl

*From:* fonc-boun...@vpri.org [mailto:fonc-boun...@vpri.org] *On Behalf Of *CHM de Beer
*Sent:* Wednesday, June 15, 2011 10:21 AM
*To:* fonc@vpri.org
*Subject:* [fonc] Consolidation and collaboration

Hello fonc members,

Over the past year I have greatly enjoyed, and benefited from, threads on this mailing list, written by individuals with far greater understanding and insight than I will ever master. The diversity, and somewhat seasonal traffic, does make me wonder if we are maximising the impact of our efforts.

Would there be value in a platform for us to; capture all the ideas and initiatives, distil them into groups, reduce them to a handful concepts to explore, and finally focus all our efforts on. Obviously that means I may have to relinquish a pet project, but I am surprisingly comfortable with it, if substantial progress on fundamentals of new computing results.

Consider the typical mail from Dr. Kay. He would comment: "Back in 196x, we considered /this/, but elected to go with /that/, because of /some reason/," or "we did /this/, going forward you should consider /something else/." In my imagination I can see as many opinions as there were people in the room. Yet the language suggest the initiatives were reduced to a handful, and then pursued with vigour. Just think of what we can do by following the same pattern, and we have the added benefit of doing it as a virtual, distributed team.

Significant action is needed, because I fear the odds are stacked against us. Invention receives no attention, and innovation (even when incorrectly understood) receives lip service in the press, but no current-day vehicle exists to to nurture it. The only hope I have, is that a number of talented individuals pool their energy and collaborate towards fundamentally changing computing.

I am willing to start a database of ideas and initiatives if there are at least a few in the fonc group that agree in principle.

Regards,

Marius

--
mobile: +1 604 369 1854